CURRENT OPEN POSITIONS
Please select job title to view full job description and relevant details on how to apply.
At this point, you would think the technically-gifted would get more respect in society considering how much we all rely on our phones, computers, and online systems these days; but, alas, the nerdy computer-geek stereotype persists. Maybe you fit the part and own your place behind a hand-assembled Windows OS PC, or maybe you are a little different – the chocolate of your skin or the curve of your waist betraying the typical mold. While you are happy to hide behind the glow of high-frequency electromagnetic waves, you are also ready to be seen and recognized for the full and complete human you are. Yes, naturally-gifted with technology, but so much more than a computer geek. The Author Incubator waiting for you to come shine in your own quirky way over here.
We are the premier continuing-education provider for non-fiction authors with classes coverings all aspects of writing, publishing, and promoting books. Our company was named the 275th fastest growing private company in America (INC 5000). We were named the 260th Best Privately-owned Businesses in America by Entrepreneur Magazine and our CEO was named by EY as a finalist in their Entrepreneur of the Year competition for 2018.
The IT Specialist is in a unique, cross-team facing role at The Author Incubator. Reporting to the Operations Manager, the person we put into this critical role will be well-organized, have an exceptional attention to detail, and be a natural helper. Our team is pretty good with technology, but the time has come for us to get more hands on help. We’ve been winging it on our own for a couple years now, though we do bow down to our Tech Lord (though sadly he lives in Poland!) Here’s the type of stuff you will be doing in this role:
- Install and configure (or manage vendors who install and configure) computer hardware, software, systems, networks, cloud services, virtual technologies, and printers and scanners. Immediate needs include: – Manage set-up and migration of company email and calendaring to Google’s G-Suite – Manage company-wide rollout of Zoom communications platform – Oversee User Admin role migration to IT Specialist for all marketing systems that operate outside of password management service (e.g., Infusionsoft, FaceBook Business, AdWords) – Determine best mechanism to set up and maintain secure company data backup and ensure smooth and continuous backup of all on-site company machines and data; monitor for compliance and review for enhancements as needed
- Repair/oversee repair and replacement of equipment as necessary
- Manage all relationship with technology vendors – computers, mobile phones, virtual technology, cloud services, etc.
- Respond in a timely manner to service issues and requests across the company
- Provide technical support and training to individual users across the company
- Random bullet point inserted to see if you are paying attention. Put the secret code number 23 in your application subject line, k? Thx.
- Set up accounts for new employees before and during the onboarding process and for new users (computers, specific online technologies, accounts, applications, mobile phones, etc.)
- Perform necessary equipment re-sets and comprehensive account-access removal for exiting employees
- Monitor inventory of and secure leases for new laptops and other computer equipment as new employees are hired; arrange for all peripherals as needed.
- Train new employees and new users to use equipment, applications, technologies, and resources
- Identify the need for, test, and evaluate new technologies and services not specifically listed above and manage the company-wide roll-out of all new technologies, systems, applications, and services.
- Maintain up-to- date inventory/serial #s, warranties, service contracts, etc. for all company equipment
- Document all undocumented IT/Ops procedures and continually update procedure and process documentation as needed.
- Periodically audit all IT process, procedures, and security measures for compliance and recommend required enhancements.
I’m not gonna lie, we will likely get 200+ resumes for this role and we just don’t have time to interview all those candidates, so fair or not, we are going to cut almost everyone based on their application. If you don’t follow these instructions – we won’t even LOOK at your submission. The email gets deleted unread. So if you are going to bother to apply, don’t fuck this up.
- Send the following information to: [email protected]. To get us to open the email, you MUST put the secret code into the email subject line. If you don’t have the secret code, please do not apply.
- You can send a cover letter OR video – whatever is easier for you – but it must include the answer to the question: Why will you work harder than anyone else in this role should you get it. It also MUST include your minimum compensation requirements (no BS/no hedging/). Just be straight forward and tell us what you need to make – saves us all time and lets us know if you are the kind of straight shooter we like to work with.
- Include your resume… sure… but know our primary focus will be on your cover letter or intro video. Resumes are only vaguely interesting.
One thing you should know about us. Our organization believes in diversity and equity. You know those 112 women and 117 People of Color in Congress now? Yup, still not nearly enough for us. We put muscle behind our values when it comes to building an inclusive community for staff and clients. We believe EQUITY (not just inclusion) is what really is required to dismantle racism and patriarchy. We are an LGBTQIA-affirming, interfaith-oriented organization that is committed to social justice – including women’s rights, civil rights, disability rights, immigrant rights, and environmental justice. We believe Black Lives Matter.
We encourage candidates to apply who share these commitments and who have a demonstrated capacity for creating inclusive organizations and working effectively across differences to support the success of an increasingly diverse clientele. (In other words, we don’t work with racist, homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic jerks.)
About Our Location: Georgetown – Washington DC 20007 (Metro Accessible Foggy Bottom Metro Stop- 8 Blocks GWU and 8 blocks from Georgetown/Free Shuttle/Free Parking Provided). Sweet office with a door and a view plus a rooftop terrace for fresh air and a view of the Potomac and M St. Office hours: On-site in Georgetown office daily, regular business hours within the 8a-5p and 9a-6p range – 8 working hours daily.
Do you aspire to be the next Ava DuVernay or James Cameron? We are in need of an innovative and original control freak searching for a creative outlet. Every month we broadcast a live online launch event for our authors where we feature interviews with them about their books, the difference they will make in the world, and the obstacles they overcame to write them. Primarily the viewers of the launch event are other aspiring entrepreneurs who have the same goal, as well as the individual fan bases of each author we feature.
We are looking to make a very significant upgrade to the quality and format of the broadcast, and need a show runner / director who will ensure the live broadcast runs smoothly while coordinating all technical staff, the 10-20 authors we will feature, and 1-2 presenters. The show should feature that month’s individual authors and their books, and be highly inspirational to our following. Primarily we are looking for a show runner who has demonstrable experience in running live TV shows or high-quality webcasts. Full-time work or long-term contract opportunities are a possible development for this role.
Primary Location: Georgetown – Washington DC 20007 (Metro Accessible Foggy Bottom Metro Stop- 8 Blocks GWU and 8 blocks from Georgetown/Free Shuttle/Free Parking Provided). Sweet office with rooftop terrace for fresh air and a view of the Potomac and M St. Must work onsite during core business hours Monday – Friday
Some people create with blocks. Some people create with food. You, though…. you create with words. It’s not just that you can put a good sentence together. You can see the way the reader will process and interpret that sentence. You are a marketer, a copywriter, and a creative visionary. You have a long history of helping others make their ideas better with your words. Does this sound like you? You know you are too smart and capable to stay in the agency world, but too bored by the idea of working for one product or brand. You haven’t met a power vacuum you couldn’t fill. Tina Fey says she’s the original Bossypants? Ah, hell no, that’s you.
There was a point in your life where self-care came second or even third to your career and family. Those days are gone. At least a few birthdays ago you realized if you don’t put the oxygen over your own nose and mouth first, ain’t no way mama can help anyone else. “Back off folx, I’m going to get a massage.” is a sentence you have learned to utter in your advancing years. Your current job may not be perfect, but better the devil you know. You can do the job in your sleep and there is no way you are leaving unless you are 100% your next job is at least twice as aligned with your values, morals and integrity. If that sounds like you, we should meet! We’re looking for a Developmental Editor to join The Author Incubator at our Georgetown HQ just a short walk from the Foggy Bottom metro. In your role, you will:
- Lead the development and delivery of prewriting milestones concepts for approx. 30-60 accounts per month
- Concept and collaborate with talent scouts, customer experience team members, authors, coaches and other experts across the agency
- Random bullet point inserted to see if you are paying attention. Put the secret code number 11 in your application subject line, k? Thx.
- Support author’s creative development process by leading live brainstorm sessions and client discussions
- Develop junior creative talent, providing clear direction, feedback and pushing everyone around you to be better
- Collaborate with strategic and creative resources across The Author Incubator
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Someone who swoon over libraries and book stores – especially personal growth and business books
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 5-7ish years of experience working, learning and growing at a creative, digital or experiential agency
- Are a wordsmith who can interpret insights and strategies to bring ideas to life through compelling and concise copy
- Have direct response marketing experience
- Prefer working across several clients, brands and categories, often simultaneously
- Love pitching ideas to existing clients
Primary Location: Georgetown – Washington DC 20007 (Metro Accessible Foggy Bottom Metro Stop- 8 Blocks GWU and 8 blocks from Georgetown/Free Shuttle/Free Parking Provided). Sweet office with a door and a view plus a rooftop terrace for fresh air and a view of the Potomac and M St. Hours on-site: Must work onsite during core business hours Monday – Friday We will likely get 200+ resumes for this role and we just don’t have time to interview many candidates, so make this stand out if you want a job that will change the entire trajectory of your life. Instructions:
- Email your cover letter and resume with minimum compensation requirements to [email protected]
- Include a link to a video of you sharing how a non-fiction book changed your life. The video is optional, but if you choose not to do it, we will probably choose to ignore your resume… I mean unless you include sparklers or something.
- Email subject line should have the secret code in it. If you don’t have the secret code, please do not apply. LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY
Our Publishing Director is the key role in bringing electronic and print books that make a difference into the world. This full-time, virtual position is responsible for project management for approximately 240 titles per year. Your tasks will include author tracking, correspondence, coordinating with our design, production, and marketing departments during development from manuscript completion through to publication, production and distribution.
This is a full-time on-site role in Georgetown (in Washington DC). You will oversee contracts, royalties, internal and external trafficking, confirm approvals and manage the workload of your team members as needed to complete ebook publishing, covers, print books and audio books. We seek a detail-oriented project manager with excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills. You must be comfortable working in a deadline-driven time sensitive work environment and capable of managing multiple projects with overlapping and/or conflicting deadlines. RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Manage the strategic development and workload of the publishing department, including electronic, audio and print book production. This may include becoming familiar with a variety of the company’s business concepts, practices, and procedures to ensure service to the authors is in line with management goals.
- Take overall responsibility for project management of the publishing process including design and production schedules.
- Oversee quality control for both e-book, audio book and print publishing.
- Coordinate and oversee a freelance proofreaders, designers, and project managers.
- Manage schedules and ensure projects are delivered on time and to high-quality standards, including scheduling your resources to meet the volume of workflow and managing client deadlines.
- Liaise with designers on design and artwork. This may include reviewing design specifications and troubleshooting any issues, such as font and image alignment.
- Perform additional functions that may be assigned at the discretion of leadership.
- Solid background in project management.
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple projects under pressure and match work to management priorities.
- Knowledge of print design and production.
- Understand graphics files, file formats, graphics programs.
- Must have a working knowledge of Adobe inDesign, Microsoft Excel, Word and Email.
- An excellent eye for detail and strong copy-editing and proof-reading skills.
- A proven knowledge and understanding of self-help books is highly desirable.
- Must have great customer service skills with attention to detail.
- Works well in an entrepreneurial environment; willing to roll up sleeves and work with limited direction.
- Excellent collaboration and listening skills.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Excellent organization, interpersonal and self-management skills.
- Pre-press/Printing knowledge.
- Willing to go the extra mile; Travel sometimes required
- Qualified in project management or on-the-job experience.
- Professional leader with excellent communication, interpersonal and organization skills.
- Experience with journalism, publishing, life coaching or personal development.
- Proven track record of ability to manage projects and achieve results.
- Other key attributes: strategic planning, critical thinking, problem solving & team oriented.
To apply, send the following information to [email protected]:
- Tell us how you will fit in THIS job! We know what’s a fit for us and we want to know if this is a fit for you. We will NOT be calling you to clarify whether or not you’re a fit. SELL US on why we would be lucky to have you on the team.
- Tell us your EXACT income expectations (hourly or salary is fine). You’ll be working closely with our CEO and when you do, it’s important to that you are VERY precise in your communications so this is one way you will demonstrate your ability to be specific and to follow directions. Being vague in this area just sets up a concern that you’re not going to be able to ask for what you really want later if you come on board. Our philosophy is if it’s not a win-win, then there’s no deal.
- Specifically share the at least 1 non-fiction book that has changed your life and how.
- We’re glad to see your resume, so please do attach it, but note that without an accompanying document (letter, rant, attachment, video, podcast, series of tweets) addressing the above, your resume will not be reviewed.
DO YOU LOVE PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND BOOKS? MANAGING EDITOR POSITION FROM AMAZING GEORGETOWN LOCATION! (LOCAL ON-SITE POSITION) You are smart. You are capable. You love to edit and support authors. AND YOU LOVE BOOKS!
Let’s face it, you have a lot to offer an employer. And you aren’t willing to deal with unproductive coworkers, crappy cubicles or having your talent waste away working for someone else on something you don’t care that much about. You know you deserve to be treated with respect and that your age or whatever other identifying characteristic you have should not impact the opportunities you are given. The Author Incubator helps experts build business by writing, publishing, and promoting non-fiction books. Our company was named the 275th fastest growing private company in America (INC 5000) and our CEO was named by Entrepreneur magazine as one of the top 10 most inspiring entrepreneurs to watch.
This flexible position is responsible for making sure our author’s writing process is supported and the quality of the books are the best they can be while still making our tight deadlines. You will have an office in the heart of Georgetown, but the ability to work from home or a coffee shop and set your own schedule as needed. This role is ideal for someone who LOVES non-fiction authors and books but also has a keen interest in the world of personal growth and self-development. To succeed you will also need to be extremely well-organized, work well in a self-motivating environment, have an exceptional attention to detail, be task-oriented, be calm and steady while carrying out procedures, and truly care about our authors and the people who will be changed forever by their books. In this job you will manage up to 120 authors a year from the first word of the first draft until their book is on bookstore shelves throughout North America. Your duties will include:
- Reviewing the quality of writing-in-process during the manuscript creation phase of the program and touching base with authors as needed
- Providing writing advice and coaching and advice to authors, as needed, and thumbs-up/confidence that they should proceed, when warranted – all within the parameters of the program
- Coaching authors for drama reduction as they move through the process
- Managing specific company writing trainings to authors as needed
- Escalating issues or problems quickly to the relevant company resources
- Holding healthy boundaries for authors around The Author Incubator’s process and our goal of getting authors a published book that serves their business and their ideal reader
- Monitoring authors’ experiences as book go through the print and audio book phases
- Attending live book marketing/publishing events in McLean, VA or Georgetown in Washington DC
- Other tasks as assigned.
If you are interested in this role, here’s what we SPECIFICALLY need from you:
- You love personal-growth books! You must be a reader and there must be at least one non-fiction book that had a major impact on your life.
- You’re TOTALLY comfortable with editing and supporting authors during the writing process.
- You’re a self-starter. This is a small organization that does a GREAT deal of business. There are AWESOME systems in place, but you’ll be figuring some things out on your own.
- You have a deep capacity to work with people across the full breadth of group identities we serve.
Just to set your expectations, the last time we posted a job we received over 300 applications within 24 hours and called TWO people back. We hired one of them immediately. So we will NOT be responding to all applications. There’s no second chance – your response to this job notice IS your impression! If you meet all of that criteria, HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN DO NEXT… Send the following information to [email protected]:
- Tell us how you will fit in THIS job specifically. We know what’s a fit for us and we want to know if this is a fit for YOU. We will NOT be calling you to clarify whether or not you’re a fit. SELL US on why we would be lucky to have you on the team.
- Specifically share the (at least one) non-fiction book that has changed your life and what specific action you took because of that book.
- Tell us your EXACT income expectations (hourly or salary is fine though this is a full-time, on-site, W2 salaried job). In this job, it’s important that you are VERY precise in your communications, and this is one way you will demonstrate your ability to be specific and to follow directions. Being vague in this area just sets up a concern that you’re not going to be able to ask for what you really want later if you come on board. Our philosophy is if it’s not a win-win for us both, then there’s no deal.
- We’re glad to see your resume, so please do attach it, but note that without an accompanying document (letter, rant, attachment, video, podcast, series of tweets) addressing the above information requests, your resume will not be reviewed.
IF YOU’VE READ THIS FAR!!!! …how awesome are you?! Congratulations – you’re possibly a fit for this pretty cool, politics-free job working with famous authors and with a dedicated team. Just reading a job posting this long is an accomplishment! We love what we do and we’re excited to meet the person who is going to help us manage some things going forward. Please note: We are an LGBTQIA-affirming, interfaith-oriented organization that is committed to social justice – including women’s rights, civil rights, disability rights, immigrant rights, and environmental justice. We believe Black Lives Matter. We encourage candidates to apply who share these commitments and who have a demonstrated capacity for creating inclusive organizations and working effectively across differences to support the success of an increasingly diverse clientele.
Why Work With Us?
You’ll get to go to work every day knowing that you are helping to impact millions of lives around the globe. Be on the forefront of the publishing industry – where your creativity and passion are valued and expected.
You will not be “clocking in and out” when you work for The Author Incubator. We believe in taking personal responsibility for managing your own time, workload and results. Most of our positions are remote, meaning that you get to work from whatever location suits you. Some of our positions may require visiting The Author Castle on a more regular basis. But come on – who doesn’t want to visit a castle in one of the nicest locations in the Washington DC area?
You will be challenged here. We take risks and pivot quickly rather than waiting to put out less risky plans. That means you get the opportunity to make big things happen and really shine. We are growing so fast that your opportunities are only limited by your imagination.
WORK WITH DRIVEN, SMART PEOPLE
Everyone who works here could probably be making as much or more money doing something else. But, we all choose to be here. We leave our egos out of it and work toward the same end goal. We are committed to not being unhappy as individuals or as an organization.
Our CEO was just named by Entrepreneur magazine as one of the top 10 most inspiring entrepreneurs to watch in 2017. Beyond just developing your job skills, you will be getting paid to observe and learn about a variety of industries ranging from publishing to marketing to setting up a successful coaching business.
FOCUS ON ACTION
This is a work place where you will get to create. We love big new ideas, but nothing exists until its live. We believe in making things live as quickly as possible, then working to improve. We have a strong focus on being decisive and remembering that no decision is irreversible.
HELP HEAL THE WORLD
Our clients are the foremost experts in their industries. They are impacting the lives of millions by sharing their message. Be a part of the team that is creating change and healing the world, one reader at a time.