CURRENT OPEN POSITIONS
Please select job title to view full job description and relevant details on how to apply.
This position is responsible for making sure our author’s writing process is supported and the quality of the books are the best they can be while still making our tight deadlines.
This role is ideal for someone who LOVES authors and books but also has a keen interest in the world of personal growth and self-development. To succeed you will also need to be extremely well-organized, work well in a self-motivating environment, have an exceptional attention to detail, be task-oriented, be calm and steady while carrying out procedures, and truly care about our authors and the people who will be changed forever by their books.
In this job you will manage up to 40 authors a year from the first word of the first draft until their book is on bookstore selves throughout North America.
Your duties will include:
- Reviewing the quality of writing-in-process during the manuscript creation phase of the program and touching base with authors as needed
- Providing writing advice and coaching and advice to authors, as needed, and thumbs-up/confidence that they should proceed, when warranted – all within the parameters of the program
- Coaching authors for drama reduction as they move through the process
- Managing specific company writing trainings to authors as needed
- Escalating issues or problems quickly to the relevant company resources
- Coordinating contributions to the process by freelancers and other service providers
- Holding healthy boundaries for authors around The Author Incubator’s process and our goal of getting authors a published book that serves their business and their ideal reader
- Monitoring authors’ experiences as book go through the print phase
- Attending monthly live book marketing/publishing events in McLean, VA or Georgetown
- Other tasks assigned by the senior managing editor, as needed.
If you are interested in this role, here’s what we SPECIFICALLY need from you:
- You love self-help books! You must be a reader and there must be at least one non-fiction book that had a major impact on your life.
- You’re TOTALLY comfortable with editing and supporting authors during the writing process.
- You’re a self-starter. This is a small organization that does a GREAT deal of business. There are AWESOME systems in place, but you’ll be figuring some things out on your own.
- You have a deep capacity to work with people across the full breadth of group identities we serve.
If you meet all of that criteria, HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN DO NEXT…
Send your application with the following information to [email protected]
- Tell us how you will fit in THIS job specifically. We know what’s a fit for us and we want to know if this is a fit for YOU. We will NOT be calling you to clarify whether or not you’re a fit. SELL US on why we would be lucky to have you on the team.
- Specifically share the (at least one) non-fiction book that has changed your life and what specific action you took because of that book.
- Tell us your EXACT income expectations (hourly or salary is fine). In this job, it’s important that you are VERY precise in your communications, and this is one way you will demonstrate your ability to be specific and to follow directions. Being vague in this area just sets up a concern that you’re not going to be able to ask for what you really want later if you come on board. Our philosophy is if it’s not a win-win for us both, then there’s no deal.
- We’re glad to see your resume, so please do attach it, but note that without an accompanying document (letter, rant, attachment, video, podcast, series of tweets) addressing the above information requests, your resume will not be reviewed.
You are smart. You are capable. AND YOU LOVE BOOKS!
Let’s face it, you have a lot to offer an employer. And you aren’t willing to deal with dumb coworkers, crappy cubicles or having your talent waste away working for someone else on something you don’t care that much about. You know you deserve to be treated with respect and that your age or whatever other identifying characteristic you have should not impact the opportunity you are given.
The Author Incubator helps experts build businesses by writing, publishing and promoting non-fiction books. Our company was named by INC Magazine as the 285th fastest growing private company in America and our bad*$$ female CEO was just named by Entrepreneur magazine as one of the top 10 most inspiring entrepreneurs. We are a fast growing company based out of a castle with a crazy-gorgeous view of the Potomac River getting ready to add a Georgetown location to our event locations.
The Author Success Specialist is in a unique, author-facing role at The Author Incubator. Reporting to the Program Director, the incumbent must be well-organized, have an exceptional attention to detail, be customer-oriented and truly care about personal growth, self-help, and spiritual development to thrive. If you don’t know what a life coach is yet, this job probably isn’t for you.
Responsibilities may include:
- Welcoming new program members which includes adding them to all necessary tools and keeping client lists up to date.
- Management of mentorship client benefit support including processing all program benefit requests
- Management of the on-boarding process for all new authors and mentorship clients
- Answering customer service and logistical questions for authors in transformation and mentorship clients
- Collecting and tracking RSVPs to The Author’s Way LIVE and Red Carpet Launch events
- Management of all communication to authors and mentorship clients regarding all live events
- Manage gifts and ongoing correspondence for authors in transformation
- Moderate three weekly calls
- Assist with mailing welcome gifts and ongoing correspondence with authors-in-transform.
- Other tasks assigned by the Program Manager, as needed.
If you are interested in this role, here’s what we SPECIFICALLY need from you..
- You Must Love Self-Help Books! You must be a reader and there must be at least one non-fiction book that had a major impact on your life to serve in this role.
- Be a self-starter. This is a small organization that does a GREAT deal of business. There are AWESOME systems in place but you’ll be figuring a bit out on your own.
- Be TOTALLY comfortable with simple internet-based programs. Familiarity with Pages or Word, Numbers of Excel, Keynote or Powerpoint, Google (even google apps), online databases, simple html editing of pages, etc. Also have an above-average grasp of Social Media (facebook, twitter, the like – PLEASE know what these are if applying )
- Be FREE to work about one weekend a month. We do 10 live events a year and you’ll be required
OK – the COOL thing is that this is a pretty laid-back job where you get to interact with a lot of cool people. The WORK part of it is that sometimes there are DEADLINES and CRUNCHES and the schedule is intense then more laid back.
HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN DO NEXT.
Just to set your expectation, the last time we posted a job we received over 300 applications within 24 hours and called TWO people back. We hired one of them immediately. So we will NOT be responding to all applications. There’s no second chance – your response IS your impression!
Here’s what we are looking for (see, this really CAN be easy!)
Reply with the following information:
- Tell us how you will fit in THIS job! We know what’s a fit for us and we want to know if this is a fit for you. We will NOT be calling you to clarify whether or not you’re a fit. SELL US on why we would be lucky to have you on the team.
- Tell us your EXACT income expectations (hourly or salary is fine). You’ll be working closely with our CEO and when you do, it’s important to that you are VERY precise in your communications so this is one way you will demonstrate your ability to be specific and to follow directions. Being vague in this area just sets up a concern that you’re not going to be able to ask for what you really want later if you come on board. Our philosophy is if it’s not a win-win, then there’s no deal.
- Specifically share the at least 1 non-fiction book that has changed your life and how.
- We’re glad to see your resume, so please do attach it, but note that without an accompanying document (letter, rant, attachment, video, podcast, series of tweets) addressing the above, your resume will not be reviewed.
IF YOU’VE READ THIS FAR!!!!
…how awesome are you?!
Congratulations – you’re possibly a fit for this pretty cool, politics-free job in the DMV, working with famous authors, in a castle.
Just reading a job posting this long is an accomplishment!
We love what we do and we are excited to meet the person who is going to help us manage some things going forward.
Send your application to [email protected]
Please note: We are an LGBTQIA-affirming, interfaith-oriented organization that is committed to social justice – including women’s rights, civil rights, disability rights, immigrant rights, and environmental justice. We believe Black Lives Matter. We encourage candidates to apply who share these commitments and who have a demonstrated capacity for creating inclusive organizations and working effectively across differences to support the success of an increasingly diverse clientele.
Our Proofreaders work in a fast-paced environment. They provide excellent quality control while being mindful that time is of the essence. Reports directly to the Managing Editor.
Responsibilities may include:
- Reading e-book manuscripts to make sure there are no spelling, grammatical or typographical errors.
- Performing proofreading services within 72 hours of receipt.
- Coordinating with Managing Editors and Staff via Basecamp (a project management tool).
Send your application to [email protected]
Why Work With Us?
You’ll get to go to work every day knowing that you are helping to impact millions of lives around the globe. Be on the forefront of the publishing industry – where your creativity and passion are valued and expected.
You will not be “clocking in and out” when you work for The Author Incubator. We believe in taking personal responsibility for managing your own time, workload and results. Most of our positions are remote, meaning that you get to work from whatever location suits you. Some of our positions may require visiting The Author Castle on a more regular basis. But come on – who doesn’t want to visit a castle in one of the nicest locations in the Washington DC area?
You will be challenged here. We take risks and pivot quickly rather than waiting to put out less risky plans. That means you get the opportunity to make big things happen and really shine. We are growing so fast that your opportunities are only limited by your imagination.
WORK WITH DRIVEN, SMART PEOPLE
Everyone who works here could probably be making as much or more money doing something else. But, we all choose to be here. We leave our egos out of it and work toward the same end goal. We are committed to not being unhappy as individuals or as an organization.
Our CEO was just named by Entrepreneur magazine as one of the top 10 most inspiring entrepreneurs to watch in 2017. Beyond just developing your job skills, you will be getting paid to observe and learn about a variety of industries ranging from publishing to marketing to setting up a successful coaching business.
FOCUS ON ACTION
This is a work place where you will get to create. We love big new ideas, but nothing exists until its live. We believe in making things live as quickly as possible, then working to improve. We have a strong focus on being decisive and remembering that no decision is irreversible.
HELP HEAL THE WORLD
Our clients are the foremost experts in their industries. They are impacting the lives of millions by sharing their message. Be a part of the team that is creating change and healing the world, one reader at a time.